Working on a couple ATC's this weekend, just for fun and to use up some stash...using some Sassy sayings that I saw at Ink Stains. More to come!
Friday, 24 February 2012
Sunday, 19 February 2012
It was a snowy day Friday, so hunkered down and happily crafted away.
I thought I would just post the cards and if anyone wants a "how to" guide, please don't hestitate to ask. Any comments left go straight to my inbox, so, I assume, I can reply to your comment.
Playing along at Simon Says Stamp.... Anything Goes!
Thursday, 16 February 2012
Wanna see my ugliest card ever? I didn't really have a plan when I started my sweathearts Valentine's card. I just went for it. And altho I love Tim Holtz seasonal papers, it didn't help. Usually if I don't like how a card is coming out, I just keep at it, scrumage thru my stash and usually find something that can save it. But nothing could save this catastrophy. I absolutely hate how this came out. Yuk yuk yuk.
Actually while working on my ugly card, I had intended to try a new technique of distress crackle painting a deboss. See here. Tammy suggested how awesome it looked using the woodgrain folder. I was so excitted to try it, I kept forgetting to ink and dry the paper first. I tried 5 different papers. Talk about Duhhhh! The crackle paint becomes a resist and so can't be inked afterwards. Well I ran out of crackle :( It didn't go so well, and I ditched the idea and made the ugly card.....can't win this one. The whole thing made me wonder if I should just run out and get my DH a card from the store - yes, I actually concidered it!
Luckily for me I had a brain storm the morning of Valentines Day. My DH's favourite Valentine's joke is : What did the lumberjack say to his sweetheart? Wooood you be my Valentine! So this suggestion to use distress crackle on the woodgrain was a great idea. I could use that with his fav joke.
So in the end, here's the card he received: I made my own ornie, used newspaper to cut individual letters for the sentiment. To be like a ransom note. Also used one of the 5 I had forgotten to ink up, a different embossing folder for the frame, and a Nestibilities die for the heart wreath. Wheeewwww, Finally!
Fan of Tim Holtz and Simon Says Stamp
Fan of Tim Holtz and Simon Says Stamp
That's it for today....lots to clean up at the craft table!
Challenge: Studio L3 - Grungy Monday
Monday, 13 February 2012
Happy Monday...how's you're mojo today?
Well I spent the weekend working on an order for a Bridle Shower Card. I was almost done when I saw this layout on the internet. I was googling sentiments for the front and inside of the card, but just had to make this one, and leave the other one for another time. I just loved the idea of a white dress. I'm a little worried about how slim this one turned out....hopefully it doesn't set of any body image issues for the bride. The one on the internet was quite wide and flowing. We'll see what the Mother thinks when she receives it. At least I have a backup! :)
So, the top and bottom of the dress are two different sized scalloped oval shaped cutouts (cricut cut). I bet the round shaped one would make it bigger as I had seen. Then cut off the sides to form a shaped dress. As well, there are several layers to both halves. 4 on the bottom 3 at the top. No particular reason for the numbers, it's just how many actually cut nicely enough to use, so that's what I used. Just to give it some depth and mimic an actual bridal dress. I also ran all the pieces thru the cuttlebug with a folder that had some leafy and heart shapes to give them some design. Then ontop of both halves, I cut out some vellum and glued ontop with some Glossy Accents (so the glue doesn't show thru)
Added a pink ribbon, a few half pearls, some rolled roses and a quilled -swirly accent. The sentiment is computer generated using my latest font -Albemerle Swash.
Here's the one I had almost done...sentiment needed. The bride and grooms colors are black and white!
Sunday, 12 February 2012
Saturday, 11 February 2012
Waaaay back when Tim Holtz was doing his 12 days of Tags, Tammy Tutterow came up with this technique that I just had to try. You can find her instructions here . So I started with masking the cupid and the heart onto beige cardstock. I used a variety of distress inks: Lipstick, festive berries, Olive, and some Millstone. Once dry, I ran it thru the cuttlebug with a heartsy folder. Then tried the new technique from above.
For the flower I tried using several layers of tissue paper with Tim's Mini Rosette die. It was a little challenging getting it into position as it's not sturdy like cardstock. But it worked out. It's centered on some of Tim's precut grungepaper- wings, and inked with DI Olive
The pink heart lace is from Nestabilities all ontop of some designer paper for the background....already with script and the word 'memories'.
With this card, the paper is loose and frayed at the edges, corners curled.
If you can make it out. you can see how most of the crackle paint is in the de-bossed areas. I love the effect.
Studio L3 - A Holtzian ATC
Cupcake Craft Challneges - Pink and Red